So I had the chance to play the new 8th edition rules this last weekend. I must say I am very impressed. The game plays much faster and is much deadlier than I remember from back in 6th edition when I last played. A few of the changes I noticed:
- Chargers now charge their Movement stat, plus the sum of 2d6.
- Just because you charged, does not mean you get to go first. [unless your dirty high elves!]
- You are allowed to pre-measure everything! at any time!
- Terrain can be dangerous!
- It is not hard to get a unit swinging 30-50 attacks in one melee round.
- Units that have more ranks than their opponents roll unmodified Leadership tests if they lose combat.
- Scenarios are much more important than in the last edition.
- Magic is very nasty. I had a spell go off with Irresistible Force and killed half his unit, and almost all of mine!
- Infantry is really important in the rules now.
- Percentage based army building returns [I prefer this...]
Overall I am very impressed with what I have gotten to see of the rules and do plan to get back into the game. Don’t shun it until you have had a chance to try it.